Whether or not you’re a fan of New Year’s resolutions, we should all get on board with optimizing our oral health this year. While oral health is always important, it’s quite possible that regular cleanings have fallen by the wayside for many of us, thanks to the ongoing restrictions and challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Check out our quick recap on how to protect your oral health with some smart hygiene tips.
Our Royal Decree on Oral Health
Even when we think we know what to do when it comes to protecting our oral health, a reminder never hurts. The following are the best practices we advise all of our patients to follow… turns out, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention agree:
- Remember the Golden Rule: Brush your teeth at least twice a day, making sure you include flossing in one of those sessions.
- Focus on Fluoride: Choose toothpaste that features fluoride and, whenever possible, drink fluoridated water, common in municipal or public water sources. Fluoride is important to protect against tooth decay.
- Keep Your Vices in Check: For a number of health reasons, we urge smokers and users of tobacco products to quit whenever possible. For our patients who like to imbibe alcoholic drinks, we suggest limiting them in order to avoid dehydration or dry mouth, which can compromise the health of your teeth and gums, specifically with respect to increased plaque, tooth decay, and gum disease.
- Be Proactive: Contact your dentist or doctor at the first sign of any changes in your ability to smell or taste.
- Mark Your Calendar: Schedule your teeth cleaning appointment every six months in order to monitor any changes in your oral health and address any concerns before they become bigger problems.
Why not take care of Tip #5 today?
Contact Crown Dental to schedule your next appointment and start the new year off right!